|Capability Title||Multi-dimensional simulations, combustion modeling and data analysis in engines or under engine-relevant conditions|
|Laboratories||Argonne National Laboratory (ANL), Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL), Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), Sandia National Laboratories (SNL)|
|Capability experts||Marco Arienti (SNL), Dean Edwards (ORNL), Simon Lapointe (LLNL), Matt McNenly (LLNL), Juliane Mueller (LBNL), Pinaki Pal (ANL), Riccardo Scarcelli (ANL), Sibendu Som (ANL), Roberto Torelli (ANL), Russell Whitesides (LLNL), Shashank Yellapantula (NREL)|
|Suggested tags (e.g., technoeconomic analysis, fuel property prediction, bioblendstock characterization) – up to five||High-Fidelity Simulations of Fuel-Engine Interactions; Reduced Order Models for Capturing Fuel-Engine Interactions; Optimization of fuel composition; Global and Local Sensitivity Analysis; Fuel load range and robustness prediction|
|Citations/references||1. C. Xu, M. Sjöberg, S. Som, Large eddy simulation of lean mixed-mode combustion assisted by partial fuel stratification in a spark-ignition engine, Proceedings of the ASME 2020 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, ICEF2020-3003, Denver, CO, Nov. 1-4, 2020.
2. C. Xu, P. Pal, X. Ren, M. Sjöberg, N. Van Dam, Y. Wu, T. Lu, M. McNenly, S. Som, Numerical investigation of fuel property effects on mixed-mode combustion in a spark-ignition engine, Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 2020, accepted.
3. H. Guo, L. Nocivelli, R. Torelli, S. Som, “Towards understanding the development and characteristics of under-expanded flash boiling jets,” International Journal of Multiphase Flows 129 103315 (2020) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2020.103315
4. Z. Yue, S. Som, “A Study of Fuel Property Effects on Knock Propensity and Thermal Efficiency in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) Engine,” Applied Energy 2019, 114221 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.114221
5. Z. Yue, M. Battistoni, S. Som, “Spray Characterization for ECN Spray G Injector Using High-fidelity Simulation with Detailed Injector Geometry,” International Journal of Engine Research (special issue) 2020, vol. 21 (1) 226-238 DOI: 10.1177/1468087419872398
6. Pal, P., Kolodziej, C., Choi, S., Som, S. et al., “Development of a Virtual CFR Engine Model for Knocking Combustion Analysis,” SAE Int. J. Engines 11(6):1069-1082, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0187.