Producing, recovering, and purifying bio-derived materials of interest for advanced fuels, including production at a scale sufficient for property and performance testing.
- Synthetic biology & Advanced Fermentation Strategies for biofuels
- Thermochemical process development
- Catalytic process development and blendstock production
- Fully equipped organic synthesis capabilities
- Feedstock selection and formulation
Experimental determination of fundamental thermophysical and fuel-specification properties of bio-derived blendstocks and blended fuels.
- Experimental determination of fundamental thermophysical properties and fuel-specification testing of bio-derived blendstocks and blended fuels
- Fuel/oxygenates and lubricant interactions
- Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometry (IRMS)
- Materials/component compatibility with advanced fuels
Research on the performance of bio-blendstocks and blended fuels in the fuel distribution system, and in engines or under combustion conditions relevant to fuel combustion in engines.
- Engines for fuels research
- Emissions characterization and control
- Devices for fuel-spray characterization, including soot formation
- Fundamental emission catalysis capabilities
- Advanced emission catalysis capabilities